[Rd] Error on Windows build: "unable to re-encode"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Feb 27 23:59:44 CET 2010

On 27/02/2010 2:38 AM, Felix Schönbrodt wrote:
> Thanks for your help - that was the solution (easy enough to remove these two characters - they've been in only comments anyway).
> Fortunately, the DECRIPTION file accepts umlauts, as in my second name. The problem was only in the source file.

I've changed R-devel so that it now gives a warning instead of an error
in such cases.  The warning reports the line numbers of the bad
characters, and the installer converts them to <xx>-style hex codes.  If
you've used them in variable names this will likely lead to a syntax
error; in string literals it will look ugly but should be accepted.  In
comments it will look ugly, but comments aren't normally saved, so they
won't really matter there.

Duncan Murdoch