[Rd] loess() crashes R on my system

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 2 15:35:15 CET 2010

The posting guide also applies to R-devel: please provide a complete
reproducible example and don't send HTML, as requested there.

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Dennis Murphy wrote:

> Greetings and happy new year!
>
> I am in the process of converting some of the old S-PLUS scripts
> from Visualizing Data (Cleveland, 1993) into lattice. In fact, I did
> most of it several years ago, and at the time, all of the scripts
> that contained loess() worked fine. Tonight, I ran most of the
> scripts again, but every one that I tried with a loess() call
> crashed R. I tried it in two sessions, one with an existing .Rdata
> and in another directory without one. The call below, isolated from
> its script, is one of the culprits:
>
> with(ethanol, loess(NOx ~ C * E, span = 1/3, degree = 2,
>        parametric = "C", drop.square = "C", family="s"))

What is 'ethanol'?  Is it the data set in package lattice, for
example?  (If so, this works for me everywhere, including Windows XP.)

> system abnormally terminated R when this line or any other one that
> invokes loess() is run. I'm running the binary version of 2.10.1 on
> a Dell Studio 15 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

If you mean any call to loess(), the problem is your machine (or at
least your precise version of the OS) since example(loess) has been
run on the binary version of R before distribution.  The examples are
always a good place to start testing.)

Problems specific to the Windows binary (and we don't know that as yet
but it seems likely) should be reported to the R-windows address.

> This is the first time I've ever experienced something like this in
> the decade that I've used R. What's more surprising is that it
> occurred with such a common function. Since I haven't seen any
> postings of this type, it's probably something on my end, but I
> don't know what. Since it shut down the program, I felt compelled to
> report it.

You should be able to get a problem report under those circumstances,
usually as an option on the dialog box -- and you will need to report
that with the reproducible example.