[Rd] R_PreserveObject, R_ReleaseObject : reference counting needed ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 2 22:36:16 CET 2010

On 2 January 2010 at 16:26, Whit Armstrong wrote:
| I still think all these Rcpp projects should come together some day.
| Dirk and I talked about combining about two years ago, but "real" work
| got it the way.  I'll ping you off list for a follow up.

Have a look at the SVN archive for Rcpp on R-Forge and at Rcpp 0.7.1 which
should be on CRAN "soon" (within days).  You may like what Romain added as
class RObject; there is more coming for environments etc, and external
pointers already got added.

That said, we are trying to maintain the fine balance of keeping the old
interface of Rcpp maintained (as it is being used in a number of places, and
as I feel quite strongly about maintaining published interfaces) yet add a
few 'interesting' things which Romain had been pushing real well for our use
in RProtoBuf and other places.

There is also a mailing list for Rcpp-dev (with the usual subscribe-to-post)
tricks.

Dirk