[Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 2 23:12:16 CET 2010

On 02/01/2010 3:16 PM, Laurent Gautier wrote:
> On 1/2/10 8:53 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> Careful - the protection stack (bookkeeping by R) has nothing to do
>>> with the C function call stack hence it has nothing to do with the
>>> compiler. The protection stack is global so usually you don't run out
>>> of it unless something goes horribly wrong (=infinite loop).
>> I think Laurent was referring to RecursiveRelease, which could use a lot
>> of C stack if you choose to release something that is deep in the list,
>> since it checks the head, and if that doesn't match, calls itself again
>> on the rest of the list. (I checked, and at least one version of gcc
>> doesn't recognize the tail recursion: it really does generate a
>> recursive call.)
>>
>> Laurent asked why it isn't optimized to avoid the recursion: I think the
>> answer is simply because it is so rarely used that nobody has bothered.
>
> Yes, I was referring to RecursiveRelease. Sorry if this was not clear.
>
> What are the chances for a patch to be accepted ? At first sight(*),
> making that tail recursion an iterative function is not a major
> undertaking, and reviewing the patch be fairly straightforward... but I
> can always use that time otherwise if the answer to the question is "nil".

I don't think I would want to review such a patch (I don't know the
memory manager well, I don't know that there is really a case where it
matters enough to be worth doing), so I'd say if you don't get a message
from a core member volunteering to do so, you should assume it won't be
accepted.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't write the code for your
own internal use and edification, and if you can put together a demo
that shows it really makes a big difference in a realistic situation,
you might get a different response.

Duncan Murdoch