[Rd] adapt package missing because of licensing issue: fix?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Jan 14 23:25:00 CET 2010

  I think this is probably known by someone, but I wanted to ask/comment:

  The 'adapt' package has been removed from CRAN because of an 'unclear'
license. That makes sense, but it actually took a bit of digging for me
to discover that, and if I had been a student I might not have figured
it out.  The package is simply missing from the CRAN compiled packages
page; I did find information in the check summaries; but I didn't get a
clear indication until I found

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/adapt/index.html

 by googling (which also gave me a handy link to the archives).

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-fedora/2009-June/000078.html
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/adapt/adapt_1.0-4-3/r-cran-adapt.copyright

  give a little more information.

  library(findFn); sos("multidimensional+integration") found the
cubature package for me, which looks like a pretty good replacement but
which I haven't tried out yet.

  My real question: has anyone actually tried to contact the authors and
find out if they are willing to put the code under a suitably
redistributable license? I can't find anything that suggests that they
*don't* want it redistributed ... ? Would it be helpful if I did this,
or is this the sort of thing the package maintainer should do?

Mike Meyer: mikem at andrew.cmu.edu
Alan Genz: Genz at gauss.math.wsu.edu

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida