[Rd] R-2.10.1 : There is no make file. (PR#14192)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jan 22 19:08:57 CET 2010

On 22 January 2010 at 15:35, nachikethas at cox.net wrote:
| Full_Name: N. Srinivasan
| Version: R-2.10.1
| OS: Ubuntu 9.10, 64 bits
| Submission from: (NULL) (68.110.238.141)
|
| ,/configure runs fine.
|
| But there is no make file mentioned in the INSTALL file.

Please specifiy your question more clearly.  'configure [options]' followed
by 'make [option' and 'make install' _obviously_ works.  Look eg at
https://buildd.debian.org/build.cgi?pkg=r-base for all Debian builds,
Ubuntu's are similar.

And my copy of the file INSTALL says

    SIMPLE COMPILATION

    As you are reading this file, you have unpacked the R sources and are
    presumably in the top directory.  Issue the following commands:

   	    ./configure
	    make

How does that not mention make, please ?

| Usually this kind of information is provided in the README file.
|
| I am a donor to the R Foundation.
|
| Ubuntu uses the Synaptic. It only installs the R version 2.9.0

Please read the R FAQ entry 2.6 'Are there Unix binaries for R' and look at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu on how to obtain R 2.10.1
pre-built thanks to the work of Vincent and Michael.

| So, I have to compile R-2.10.1 from the source.

Nope, see previous point.

| Will appreciate help on how to install R-2.10.1

Here it is.  Next time, please feel free to ask on the r-sig-debian list for
Debian / Ubuntu question rather than filing a non-bug bug report.

Dirk