[Rd] Problem with R math library.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 28 13:32:08 CET 2010

Salut Guilluame,

On 28 January 2010 at 12:38, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
| Hello.
|
| I've been working on my OCaml-R binding, and I quite pleased to see that
| it is functional, though far from being perfect or polished. You can
| find the gitweb webpage and the interface documentation at
|
| 	http://yziquel.homelinux.org/gitweb/?p=ocaml-r.git;a=tree
| 	http://yziquel.homelinux.org/topos/api/ocaml-r/index.html
|
| I'm having unexpected trouble with the math library, though. The
| interface documentation is here:
|
| 	http://yziquel.homelinux.org/topos/api/ocaml-r/Rmath.html
|
| For instance, for the norm_rand symbol, I have the following
| documentation comment:
|
| > val norm_rand : unit -> float
| > Random variates from the standard normal distribution. Bug: currently systematically returns -8.77332116900134373.
|
| Any idea as to why the function systematically returns the same value?
| Is there a way the math library should be initialised?

I think it is pretty clearly documented in R-exts:

  6.3 Random number generation
  ============================

  The interface to R's internal random number generation routines is

       double unif_rand();
       double norm_rand();
       double exp_rand();

  giving one uniform, normal or exponential pseudo-random variate.
  However, before these are used, the user must call

       GetRNGstate();

  and after all the required variates have been generated, call

       PutRNGstate();

  These essentially read in (or create) `.Random.seed' and write it out
  after use.

Dirk