[Rd] Possible bug in 2.11.x texmf makefile.in and some related things...

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Jul 5 04:49:51 CEST 2010

Hi all,

A list of some possible issues:

1. In R 2.11.x, in:

  http://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-2-11-branch/share/texmf/

there are two files, jss.cls and jss.bst (for JSS), which appear to be new since 2.10.x. These files are not installed when building/installing R. It would appear that they are not included in:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-2-11-branch/share/Makefile.in

The relevant code there is:

  	@for f in $(srcdir)/texmf/*.sty \
		  $(srcdir)/texmf/*.fd; do \
	  $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rsharedir)/texmf"; \
	done

which would skip over the two jss files.

This issue came up when another useR (on F12) was building the zoo package with its vignette, which apparently uses jss.cls. Errors were of course observed. I thought that the error was limited to Fedora, but this is an issue in the source.

2. On a related issue, the texmf tree appears to be modified in 2.12.x, with the latex and bibtex files being put into separate folders:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/texmf/

The makefile.in:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/Makefile.in

appears to be modified to handle that split:

  	@for f in $(srcdir)/texmf/bibtex/bst/*; do \
	  $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rsharedir)/texmf/bibtex/bst"; \
	done
	@for f in $(srcdir)/texmf/tex/latex/*; do \
	  $(INSTALL_DATA) $${f} "$(DESTDIR)$(rsharedir)/texmf/tex/latex"; \
	done

So there was perhaps an oversight of sorts for 2.11.x in handling these two JSS related files.

3. A final note, which is that the NEWS file appears to be missing from R-Devel tonight:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/

I was trying to read it to note any comments relevant to the above.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz