[Rd] with(x, Recall()) Crash

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Tue Jul 6 23:38:10 CEST 2010

R-devel,
I discovered a segfault in my R code that boiled down to my incorrect
use of the Recall() function embedded within a with() function. Since
segfaults are generally bad things, even when it's the user's fault for
writing nonsense code, I thought I'd pass along the offending code. I've
tested the crash on R 2.11.1 (on Linux and Mac), but not in devel
versions of R.

HTH, Robert

> x <- 1
> with(x, Recall())
*** caught segfault ***
address 0x1db, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: eval(expr, envir, enclos)
 2: Recall()
 3: eval(expr, envir, enclos)
 4: eval(substitute(expr), data, enclos = parent.frame())
 5: with.default(x, Recall())
 6: with(x, Recall())

> R.version
               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          11.1
year           2010
month          05
day            31
svn rev        52157
language       R
version.string R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)

Robert McGehee, CFA
Geode Capital Management, LLC
One Post Office Square, 28th Floor | Boston, MA | 02109
Tel: 617/392-8396    Fax:617/476-6389
mailto:robert.mcgehee at geodecapital.com

>This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for use by the
addressee(s) only and may contain information that is (i) confidential
information of Geode Capital Management, LLC and/or its affiliates,
and/or (ii) proprietary information of Geode Capital Management, LLC
and/or its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or if you have otherwise received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by telephone (you may call collect), or by e-mail,
and please permanently delete the original, any print outs and any
copies of the foregoing. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited.