[Rd] how to define method for "+" function in a new class

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 7 17:43:28 CEST 2010

On 07/07/2010 08:09 AM, james.foadi at diamond.ac.uk wrote:

> Dear R developers,
> I have a new class, which I called "Molecule", and have tried to define =
> a "+" operation for 2 objects of this class.
> This is what I have written so far, although the method is not complete =
> (I'm trying to look at it at intermediate stages):
>
> setMethod(
>           f=3D"+",
>           signature(x=3D"Molecule",y=3D"Molecule"),
>           definition=3Dfunction(x,y,...)
>                      {
>                       # Check both objects are correct
>                       checkMolecule(x)
>                       checkMolecule(y)
>
>                       # Extract chains information
>                       ch1 <- getMoleculeChains(x)
>                       ch2 <- getMoleculeChains(y)
>                       union_ch <- unique(c(ch1,ch2))
>                       not_used <- .ALPHABET
>                       for (i in seq(along =3D union_ch))
>                       {
>                        idx <- which(not_used !=3D union_ch[i])
>                        if (length(idx) !=3D 0) not_used <- not_used[idx]
>                       }
>
>                       return(not_used)
>                      }
>          )
>

> The definition of class Molecule is included earlier in the same file. =
> When I source it, I get the following error message:
>
> Error in match.call(fun, fcall) :=20
>   unused argument(s) (x =3D "Molecule", y =3D "Molecule")

If I

> getGeneric("+")
standardGeneric for "+" defined from package "base"
  belonging to group(s): Arith

function (e1, e2)
standardGeneric("+", .Primitive("+"))
<environment: 0xb432f8>
Methods may be defined for arguments: e1, e2
Use  showMethods("+")  for currently available ones.

I see that the generic is defined to take two arguments e1 and e2. So

setMethod("+", c("Molecule", "Molecule"), function(e1, e2) {
    ## ...
})

but actually here it might often pay to discover ?GroupGenericFunctions
and end up with something like

setClass("A", representation=representation(x="numeric"))

setMethod("Arith", c("A", "A"), function(e1, e2) {
   new(class(e1), x=callGeneric(e1=e1 at x, e2=e2 at x))
})

and then

> new("A", x=1:5) + new("A", x=5:1)
An object of class "A"