[Rd] Large discrepancies in the same object being saved to .RData

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 06:12:53 CEST 2010

On 10/07/2010 10:10 PM, Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:
> Well, I have answered one of my questions below.  The hidden
> environment is attached to the 'terms' component of v1.
>
> To see this
>

>> lapply(v1, environment)
>>
> $coefficients
> NULL
>
> $residuals
> NULL
>
> $effects
> NULL
>
> $rank
> NULL
>
> $fitted.values
> NULL
>
> $assign
> NULL
>
> $qr
> NULL
>
> $df.residual
> NULL
>
> $xlevels
> NULL
>
> $call
> NULL
>
> $terms
> <environment: 0x021b9e18>
>
> $model
> NULL
>

>> rm(junk, envir = with(v1, environment(terms)))
>> usedVcells()
>>
> [1] 96532
>

> This is still a bit of a trap for young (and old!) players...
>
> I think the main point in my mind is why is it that object.size()
> excludes enclosing environments in its reckonings?

I think the idea is that the environment is not part of the object, it
is just referenced by the object. In fact, there are at least two
references to the environment in your second example:

environment(v1$terms)

and

attr(v1$terms, ".Environment")

both refer to it. So you can't just add the size of an environment every
time you come across it, you would need to keep track of whether it had
already been counted or not. So as ?object.size says,

"Associated space (e.g. the environment of a function and what the
pointer in a ‘EXTPTRSXP’ points to) is not included in the
calculation."
> If you really want to know how much space an object will take when saved, probably the only reliable way is to save the object and look at how much space the file takes.

Duncan Murdoch