[Rd] R-2.11.1 build and 'so' libraries withouth the 'lib' prefix//update

lI lux-integ at btconnect.com
Mon Jul 12 23:59:14 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 20:52:15 Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 2:50 PM, lI wrote:

> >> I forgot to add     my configure/make  options.  These were:-
> >> ########################
> >> export BUILD64="-m64"
> >> sh configure \
> >> CC="gcc $BUILD64" \
> >> CXX="g++ $BUILD64" \
> >> F77="gfortran  $BUILD64" \
> >> FC="gfortran  $BUILD64" \
> >> JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_HOME \
> >> LIBnn=lib64 \
> >> CPPFLAGS="-I$ATLAS_HOME/include -I/opt/acml4.4.0/gfortran64_mp/include
> >> - I/opt/acml4.4.0/gfortran64/include -I/usr/local/numerics/include" \
> >> LDFLAGS="-L$ATLAS_HOME/lib  -L/opt/acml4.4.0/gfortran64_mp/lib -
> >> L/usr/local/numerics/lib -L/usr/lib" \
> >> --prefix=/opt/TEST/R-2.11.1 \
> >> --x-includes=$XORG_PREFIX/include \
> >> --x-libraries=$XORG_PREFIX/lib \
> >> --with-tcl-config=/usr/lib  \
> >> --with-tk-config=/usr/lib \
> >> --with-system-zlib=/usr  \
> >> --with-system-bzlib=/usr \
> >> --with-system-pcre=/usr  \
> >> --with-x  \
> >> --with-libpth-prefix=/usr \
> >> --with-libintl-prefix=/usr \
> >> --with-blas="-lpthread -latlas  -lfptf77blas" \
> >> --with-lapack="-llapack -lcblas" \
> >> --enable-R-shlib \
> >> --enable-BLAS-shlib
> >> ################
> >>
> >> The sources  compiled trouble-free.   with  'make'  as normal user.
> >> I then ran  'make install' as  super-user  and int installed in the
> >> prefix as set..
> >>
> >> A reply to the following questions would be much appreciateed:-
> >> QUESTION:
> >> A) does any on list know   SHLIB_LD   SHLIB_LDFLAGS  SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS
> >> SHLIB_FCD   SHLIB_FCLDFLAGS    settings for compiling R  and do these
> >>  result in  so libs with the 'lib' prefix?
> >> B) If all of A) is negative what is there to be done to   enable
> >> generation  of  shared-libraries in $R_HOME/modules/ and
> >> $R_HOME/library/~ directories/sub-directories  with the 'lib'    prefix?
> >
> > thanks everyone for the help in clarifying what were share-libraries  and
> > otherwise.
> >
> > As stated above I used two switches
> > --enable-R-shlib \
> > --enable-BLAS-shlib
> > in the   configure options of the downloaded R-2.11.1 source  prior to
> > compilation.
> >
> > I am compiling  R-2.11.1   as  an optional dependency of kdeedu-4.4.5.
> > This asks for R-shlib   )which I noticed it is disable by the default  in
> > the configure script.)
> >
> > After compile and install of R-2.11.1,  I am only able to start R from
> > the command  line
>
> How are you starting it? The R start script does setup everything so that
>  you should never touch anything inside.
>
> > when I   move the generated libRblas.so to libRblas.soDUFF and
> > symlink libacml.so    to libRblas.so  and update $R_HOME/etc/ldpaths
> > accordingly.  I am unable to start R  with the compiled-in
> > $R_HOME/libR.so and  $R_HOME/libRblas.so.
> >
> > QUESTIONS:
> [...]

Thanks to you for your help.  Following your guidance,  kdeedu-4.4.5  now
builds successfully against R-2.11.1.   However when I    edit ~/etc/ldpaths
with  the line

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path/to/acml/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

R fails to start.  it only starts when   the above point to $R_HOME/lib. (nb I
have  a symbolic link of libacml.so  to libRblas.so
any ideas?