[Rd] bug in identical()? [Was: [R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jul 17 22:23:24 CEST 2010

Ok, I think I found the issue. I'm not sure why this varies by platform but the mismatch is due to the @env slot. Two environments are only identical if it is *the* same environment (i.e. the same pointer). However, M1 and M2 have different environments. The content of those environments is identical, but that is irrelevant as it's not the same pointer. Hence identical(M1, M2) fails (and serialize comparison succeeds as it cares only about the content).

So the short story is don't use identical() to compare the models (unless you remove @env first). The long story raises the question whether identical() should really return FALSE for environments like
> identical(new.env(),new.env())
[1] FALSE
I can see arguments both ways but for the purposes of comparing values there should be an option that the above is TRUE.

To be honest I don't see why this has not shown up on other platforms as that is a global issue... (I hope this is the full story - I didn't try all the combinations to see if setting @env to the same environment will appease identical() for all the models)

Cheers,
Simon