[Rd] Non-blocking Eval

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jul 20 20:45:06 CEST 2010

Martin,

On Jul 20, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Martin Kerr wrote:

> Sorry I phrased that badly.
> What I'm trying to do is asynchronously add data to R, i.e. a program will periodically dump some readings to the Rserver and then later on another program will run some analysis scripts on them.

That is an entirely different concept - the Rserve control commands (CMD_ctrlEval and CMD_ctrlSource) allow you to do that:  evaluate code in the master server process. All subsequent clients are then working on the updated data.

However, there is no support for control commands in the C++ client so following the same directions you'd have to add it (this time there is truly no data in the response as it is asynchronous so sending the request is sufficient).

> I have managed to add the data via CMD_detachedVoidEval as you suggested.
> How exactly do I go about attaching to the session again? I know it involves some form of session key that comes back from the detach call, but what from does it take? And how do I use this?

The detach command will return a 32-byte session key which you use with the attach command. It is opaque to the application. However, this is a whole different story - the assumption was that you only need asynchronous evaluation so you would actually quit R in the client once detached. The session support (detach/attach) is for a different use - if you start a long computation but don't want to wait for the result and only come back later to collect the result.

Cheers,
Simon

PS: please continue the discussion on stat-rosuda-devel as that is the correct place.