[Rd] transpose of complex matrices in R

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Jul 30 17:39:41 CEST 2010

> When one is working with complex matrices, "transpose"  very nearly
> always means
> *Hermitian* transpose, that is, A[i,j] <- Conj(A[j,i]).
> One often writes A^* for the Hermitian transpose.

I believe that I have actually (many years ago) used a true complex transpose, but I agree
that one more often needs the conjugate transpose. I would not be in favour of changing
t() because I feel transpose means transpose -- certainly where there are non-square
matrices. But I'd be in favour of adding a conjt() (or some similar function) that does
the conjugate transpose efficiently.

JN