[Rd] [R] Wrong symbol rendering in plots (Ubuntu)

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:40:14 CEST 2010

  [moving to r-devel]

  This PDF looks fine in all of the viewers I have (xpdf 3.02, okular
0.8.2, acroread 8.1.3, evince/poppler 0.8.7) ... I don't really know
enough about PDF/fonts/etc. to debug this ... if I were going to
continue with this I would probably make some kind of minimal plot:

> pdf("test.pdf")
> plot(0:1,0:1,type="n",axes=FALSE,ann=FALSE)
> text(0.5,0.5,expression(alpha %prop% beta))
> dev.off()

(this comes out to only 1397 bytes on my system), make the equivalent
plot with LaTeX

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
$$
\alpha \propto \beta
$$
\end{document}

(7514 bytes)

and try to figure out how the fonts are being treated differently ...

Yvonnick Noel wrote:
> Hello Ben,
>> Does the workaround pointed out later in the thread you're
>> responding to (from the last paragraph of a very long 'Note'
>> section of ?pdf) help?
>>
> Well, I did not try to edit my fonts.conf but I feel this is not a PDF
> issue. I have no problem to have greek letters correctly rendered in
> Ubuntu 10.04 (with LaTeX, or OpenOffice Math for instance with a PDF
> export). This only appears in R plots.
>
> Note that other symbols do not render well too. I put a PDF output of
> demo(plotmath) here:
>
> http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/wrongsymbolsinubuntu.pdf
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yvonnick
>
>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
> i486-pc-linux-gnu
>
> locale:
>   [1] LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>   [3] LC_TIME=fr_FR.utf8        LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.utf8
>   [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8
>   [7] LC_PAPER=fr_FR.utf8       LC_NAME=C
>   [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:

Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida
*** NEW E-MAIL ADDRESSES:
***   bbolker at gmail.com , bolker at math.mcmaster.ca
bolker at ufl.edu / people.biology.ufl.edu/bolker
GPG key: people.biology.ufl.edu/bolker/benbolker-publickey.asc