[Rd] Package development process?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Jun 16 03:45:02 CEST 2010

Hello, All:

       What thoughts might you have on "The R Software Package
Development Process"?

       I'm looking for ideas, materials, references, and / or
collaborators for an article on this topic to be submitted to the
Communications of the ACM.  My limited experience with other languages
such as Matlab and Python suggests that R may be fairly unique with CRAN
and this accompanying package development process -- and users of other
languages might benefit from emulating R in this regard.  We have an
immediate deadline of Sept. 15, when Sundar and I are scheduled to speak
on this topic for the San Francisco Bay Chapter of the Association for
Computing Machinery.

       So far my literature search for comparable capabilities for other
languages have produced essentially nothing comparable.(a)  Sundar and I
added a section on "Selected Repositories" to the Wikipedia "Software
repository" entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository).

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

##################
(a) I have material discussed by Merijn de Jonge, Eindhoven University
of Technology on "Package-Based Software Development" at the 29th
Euromicro Conference (EUROMICRO'03),
Belek-Antalya, Turkey, September 01-September 06
(http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/EURMIC.2003.1231570).
I'm also familiar with material by Friedrich Leisch, Sundar and I on
"Creating R Packages" available as contributed documentation from CRAN.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer