[Rd] read.table / type.convert with NA values

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Wed Jun 30 01:14:17 CEST 2010

The document RFC 4180 (which appears to be the CSV standard used by R,
see ?read.table) considers spaces to be part of the fielded value. Some
have taken this to mean that all white space characters should be
considered part of the fielded value, though the RFC is not explicit
here. Hence, this behavior is in compliance with the "standard" for CSV
files. It seems that R treats '\t' (and perhaps all?) separated value
files the same way by default.

The RFC is very short and easy to read if you're interested.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180

-Matt