[Rd] Tips for debugging: R CMD check examples

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:32:58 CEST 2010

> R CMD check produces a foo-Ex.R file where foo is the package name. You
> could start by sourcing that file in R --vanilla and see where it fails
> and also use standard debugging tools in R from there (i.e. drop into a
> debugger on error).

I knew about the foo-Ex.R file, but unfortunately running that
produced no errors. I ended up resorting to inserting print statements
every few lines to narrow down the exact location of the problem,
which revealed that my code assumed options(keep.source = TRUE) but
during R CMD check, options(keep.source = FALSE).

Hopefully this type of problem will be easier to sort out with the new
pure R R CMD check in 2.11.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/