[Rd] distributable binary Mac packages [Was: libgfortran misplaced in Mac OS X R install]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Mar 4 21:11:23 CET 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 14:44 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Another possibility is to link statically to libgfortran.  That has
> pros and cons, but for libgfortran not many cons apart from space
> for multiple copies in sundry packages (and is what is done on
> Windows, BTW).
>
> There are several ways to arrange that.  As far as I recall I
> temporarily removed /usr/local/lib/libgfortran*.dylib: another way
> is to edit FLIBS in Makeconf (but then you do need to know which
> copies of that file you need to edit).

The Xcode add-on compilers from R.research.att.com use static
libgfortran by default, so if you didn't install any other Fortran,
that will be the default.

However, there are issues when linking multiple modules that also link
libgfortran statically - dylibs are not allowed to contain multiple
common symbols on OS X (with flat namespaces) which is the case if you
get static libgfortran from two sources independently. The most
prominent example is libRlapack linked into a package that also uses
Fortran (that's why CRAN Rlapack does not use static libgfortran).
There are ways around, but it all makes the already complex issue even
more complex ;).

> As far as I know we don't document in the standard manuals how to
> build distributable binary Mac packages, and perhaps we should do so
> in due course (or at least point at where the information can be
> found).

Yes, I agree. There are bits and pieces in the R for Mac FAQ, but it
may be worth putting what I wrote below into the FAQ.

Thanks,
Simon

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:01 , Michael Spiegel wrote:
>>
>>> I am the guy who compiles the OpenMx binaries.  We would be
>>> delighted to place our package on CRAN, once the project is stable
>>> enough so that we are comfortable releasing it to the larger
>>> public.  Let's try to track down where I made a mistake.  Our
>>> Makevars.in file contains the line: