[Rd] Bug reporting system inquiry plus a bug report related to sort

Jens Elkner jel+r at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Mar 5 00:13:58 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:58:16AM -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Jira was discussed a couple of years ago:
>
>   http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e5/devel/08/09/0006.html
>
> I presume that the disposition towards non-FOSS platforms remains.

Was just an idea. IMHO the hosting team needs to decide, what they
can accomplish/how many time they are able to invest to get that thing
driven/maintained/adjusted. Everybody else has to live with that decision
;-)

> The key to having a successful result is not the software, but that the end users and developers can interact with a base of information that enables productive conversation.

Exactly wrt. the last part. But often even developers just want to get
its work done, don't have the time to get trained to a more or less
complicated beast, have at least at the beginning no intention to extend
it and just want to have their "customers" report bugs/oddities in a
usable style, which is a problem, if one presents an interface, which is
hard to use / use as intented because of the "none"-expert knowledge ...
So IMHO success certainly depends on the software, as long as you do not
have access limited to a [small] trained group ...
> I would argue that if there was a somewhat bigger hurdle

Hurdles wrt. SW dev and help are always bad. Thinking about how to make it
easier to find the required information/right direction is a good thing
> Whatever the host system may be, a member of R Core will still need to manually process the report, adding to their overhead. Reducing the number of false positives would be helpful.
Yes. So good/extensive documentation/examples is the? key for success ? ;-)

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2