[Rd] Defining a method in two packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 6 21:17:23 CET 2010

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Terry,
>
> this happens since the ranef in coxme is a S3 generic and the one in lme4 is
> a S4 generic.

But the packages could be more cooperative.  There is also a S3
generic for ranef in package nlme.  Ideally the S4 generic in lme4
would have a default method which dispatched on S3 methods: that would
be easy to achieve if there was just one other ranef, but not so if
there are 2 or more -- but read on.

Indeed, the situation is pretty much the same if you load nlme after
coxme:

> library(nlme)

Attaching package: 'nlme'

The following object(s) are masked from 'package:coxme':

     fixed.effects, fixef, random.effects, ranef

> ranef(fit)
Error in UseMethod("ranef") :
   no applicable method for 'ranef' applied to an object of class "coxme"

The situation can be alleviated by making S3 methods visible.  Thus if
coxme exported coxme:::ranef.coxme and lme4 had a default method

function (object, ...) UseMethod("ranef")

My solution would though be NOT to reuse a name that is already
established in another package (nlme has used it for many years).

The design problem is that generic foo() in package B might have
nothing to do with foo() in package A.  When it does, we expect B to
import the generic from A, but that can be a 'which came first'
problem unless a base package is involved.  But here nlme is a
long-established recommended package, so it would be reasonable to
expect both coxme and lme4 to import from it.