[Rd] application to mentor syrfr package development for Google Summer of Code 2010

James Salsman jsalsman at talknicer.com
Mon Mar 8 02:11:01 CET 2010

Per http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010
-- and http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010:syrfr
-- I am applying to mentor the "Symbolic Regression for R" (syrfr)
package for the Google Summer of Code 2010.

I propose the following test which an applicant would have to pass in
order to qualify for the topic:

1. Describe each of the following terms as they relate to statistical
regression: categorical, periodic, modular, continuous, bimodal,
log-normal, logistic, Gompertz, and nonlinear.

2. Explain which parts of http://bit.ly/tablecurve were adopted in
SigmaPlot and which weren't.

3. Use the 'outliers' package to improve a regression fit maintaining
the correct extrapolation confidence intervals as are between those
with and without outlier exclusions in proportion to the confidence
that the outliers were reasonably excluded.  (Show your R transcript.)

4. Explain the relationship between degrees of freedom and correlated
independent variables.

Best regards,

James Salsman
jsalsman at talknicer.com