[Rd] application to mentor syrfr package development for Google Summer of Code 2010

James Salsman jsalsman at talknicer.com
Mon Mar 8 23:45:49 CET 2010

Michael,

Thanks for your reply:

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Michael Schmidt <mds47 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for contacting me. Eureqa takes into account the total size of an
> equation when comparing different candidate models. It attempts to find the
> set of possible equations that are non-dominated in both error and size. The
> final results is a short list consisting of the most accurate equation for
> increasing equation sizes.
>
> This is closely related to degrees of freedom, but not exactly the same

That's very good, but I wonder whether we can perform automatic
outlier exclusion that way.  We would need to keep the confidence
interval, or at least the information necessary to derive it, accurate
in every step of the genetic beam search.  Since the confidence
intervals of extrapolation depend so heavily on the number of degrees
of freedom of the fit (along with the residual standard error) it's a
good idea to use a degree-of-freedom-adjusted F statistic instead of a
post-hoc combination of equation size and residual standard error, I
would think.  You might want to try it and see how it improves things.
 Confidence intervals, by representing the goodness of fit in the
original units and domain of the dependent variable, are tremendously
useful and sometimes make many kinds of tests which would otherwise be
very laborious easy to eyeball.

Being able to fit curves to one-to-many relations instead of strict
one-to-one functions appeals to those working in the imaging domain,
but not to as many traditional non-image statisticians. Regressing
functions usually results in well-defined confidence intervals, but
regressing general relations with derivatives produces confidence
intervals which can also be relations.  Trying to figure out a
spiral-shaped confidence interval probably appeals to astronomers more
than most people.  So I am proposing that, for R's contemplated
'syrfr' symbolic regression package, we do functions in a general
genetic beam search framework, Chillu and John Nash can do derivatives
in the new 'adinr' package, and then we can try to put them together,
extend the syrfr package with a parameter indicating to fit relations
with derivatives instead of functions, to try to replicate your work
on Eureqa using d.o.f-adjusted F statistics as a heuristic beam search
evaluation function.

Have you quantified the extent to which using the crossover rule in
the equation tree search is an improvement over mutation alone in
symbolic regression?  I am glad that Chillu and Dirk have already
supported that; there is no denying its utility.

Would you like to co-mentor this project?
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010:syrfr
I've already stepped forward, so you could do as much or as little as
you like if you wanted to co-mentor and Dirk agreed to that
arrangement.

Best regards,
James Salsman