[Rd] Suggestion: Not having to export .conflicts.OK in name spaces

Seth Falcon seth at userprimary.net
Mon Mar 22 17:36:14 CET 2010

On 3/22/10 3:57 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>      SF>  On 3/17/10 9:11 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>      >>  Currently library() and attach() fail to locate an
>      >>  existing '.conflicts.OK' in a package wit name space,
>      >>  unless it is exported.  Since there should be little
>      >>  interest in exporting '.conflicts.OK' otherwise, one may
>      >>  argue that those methods should look for '.conflicts.OK'
>      >>  even if it is not exported.
>
>      SF>  I guess I agree that there is no real value in forcing
>      SF>  .conflicts.OK to be exported.
> so do I.

So I guess we agree that Henrik's patch would be worth applying.

@Henrik: if you resend your patch with the additions for attach, I will
see about putting it in.

>      SF>  OTOH, this seems like a dubious feature to begin.  When
>      SF>  is it a good idea to use it?
>
> in cases, the package author thinks (s)he knows what (s)he is
> doing;
> e.g. in the case of Matrix, I could argue that I know about the
> current conflicts, and I would *not* want the users of my
> package be intimidated by warnings about maskings...

I can't say that this convinces me that .conflicts.OK is OK.  Are there
package authors who realize they do not know what they are doing enough
to keep the warning messages :-P

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/