[Rd] update.packages fails with directory not found

Mike Prager mike.prager at mhprager.com
Wed May 12 18:42:58 CEST 2010

Shortened a bit further. Answers to queries are at the end.  MHP

Duncan Murdoch wrote on 5/11/2010 7:03 PM:
> On 11/05/2010 6:21 PM, Mike Prager wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:05:45 -0400, Duncan Murdoch
>> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd appreciate it if you could check whether the problems remain in
>>> R-devel, revision 51980 or later.
>> Thanks for trying to fix this. Here is a cut-and-paste [...edited]
>> from Rgui.exe.  Hope it helps.  MHP
>>
>> R version 2.12.0 Under development (unstable) (2010-05-11 r51980)
>> Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>> ISBN 3-900051-07-0  [...]
> Was rJava among the packages loaded at the time you tried this?
>>> update.packages(ask='graphics')
>> trying URL [...]
>> downloaded 1.0 Mb
>>
>> package 'rJava' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'c:\Program
>> Files\R\Library\file390c7e87\rJava' to 'c:\Program
>> Files\R\Library\rJava'
> After the install was complete, was rJava present in Library?  Was it
> updated?  Was the temporary directory file390c7e87 still present?
[...]
> The downloaded packages are in
>>         C:\Documents and Settings\mike.prager\Local
>> Settings\Temp\RtmpyrBgXD\downloaded_packages
>> Warning message:
>> In normalizePath(path) :
>>   path[1]="c:\Program Files\R\Library/rJava": The system cannot find
>> the file specified

Answers:

rJava was not loaded when the update started.
After the install, rJava was no longer present in the library.
The temporary directory file390c7e87 was not present.  Checking my
undelete program, the temp directory had existed and had contained the
rJava package but was (and is) deleted.