[Rd] Creating an S3 method when the generic function is defined in another (imported) package

Arne Henningsen arne.henningsen at googlemail.com
Fri May 14 10:09:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

In one of my packages (maxLik), I would like to add an S3 method,
where the generic function (estfun) is defined in another package
(sandwich). Everything works fine if my package "Depends" on the other
package and I import the generic function "estfun" from the "sandwich"
package and define the new method in the NAMESPACE file. However, I
prefer not to load the entire other package just to use a single
generic function from it. Therefore, I replaced "Depends" by "Imports"
in the DESCRIPTION file and (re-)exported "estfun" in the NAMESPACE
file. Now "R CMD check" warns about the undocumented code object
"estfun" but I do not want to include a duplicate of the documentation
of "estfun". Do you know a better solution?

Thanks a lot,
Arne

--
Arne Henningsen