[Rd] Restrict access to variables in parent environment

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 14 17:13:46 CEST 2010

On May 14, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Jeff Ryan wrote:

> This isn't like a local variable though, since any function above the
> baseenv() in the search path will also not be found.

Yes, but that is a consequence of the request and hence intended. You can always either specify the full path to the function or assign locally any functions you'll need:

> f = function(a) stats::rnorm(b)
> environment(f) <- baseenv()
> f()
Error in stats::rnorm(b) : object 'b' not found

> f = function(a) { rnorm=stats::rnorm; rnorm(b) }
> environment(f) <- baseenv()
> f()
Error in rnorm(b) : object 'b' not found

Alternatively you can use any environment up the search path hoping that those won't define further variables.

But back to the original question -- if taken literally, it's quite useless since it corresponds to using emptyenv() instead of baseenv() which means that you can't do anything:

> local(1+1,emptyenv())
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : could not find function "+"

So likely the only useful(?) distinction would be to allow function lookup the regular way but change only the variable lookup to not look beyond the current environment. That is stretching it, though...

Cheers,
Simon