[Rd] warning from install.packages()

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue May 25 22:25:12 CEST 2010

  Just curious: is there a particular reason why install.packages()
gives a warning in normal use when 'lib' is not specified (e.g. argument
'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library' )?  It would
seem to me that this is normal behavior as documented (" If missing,
defaults to the first element of ‘.libPaths()’.")  It's one of the most
common questions I have to answer for students during introductory R
sessions ...

  If there's not, would anyone get annoyed if I submitted a wishlist
item to have it suppressed by default?

   Ben Bolker