[Rd] S4 dispatch for .DollarNames (utils)

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Sat May 29 13:21:38 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to make .DollarNames generic and implement a method for it in
a package. .DollarNames is the function that is now called to get
completion possibilities.

My R code looks like this:

setGeneric( ".DollarNames" )

setClass("track",
          representation(x="numeric", y="numeric"))
## A class extending the previous, adding one more slot
setClass("trackCurve",
     representation(smooth = "numeric"),
     contains = "track")

setMethod( ".DollarNames", signature( x = "track", pattern = "character"
), function(x, pattern){
	grep( pattern, c("foo", "bar"), value = TRUE )
} )

and the NAMESPACE :

import( utils )
exportMethods( .DollarNames )
exportClasses( track, trackCurve )

When I load the package, I can call .DollarNames explicitely :

 > require( foo )
 > x <- new( "trackCurve", x = 1:10, y = 1:10, smooth = 1:10 )
 > .DollarNames( x, "f" )
[1] "foo"

but completion does not work :

 > x$f<TAB>