[Rd] DBLEPR?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 00:02:22 CET 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Prof. John C Nash <nashjc at uottawa.ca> wrote:
>> I normally see digest once per day, but got msg from Doug Bates so responding with context.
>
>> UCMINF is a package on CRAN that implements a variable metric minimizer.
>
> A pedant might point out that the package is called "ucminf".

And the documentation for the function is under 'dblepr' in 'Writing R
Extensions'.  There are quite a lot of uses in packages, including
cluster, mda and tweedie.

The original message mentioned Windows.  You absolutely must avoid
Fortran I/O on Windows: even having unused calls in your code can
cause crashes, since initializing Fortran I/O interferes with C I/O
(the benign end of the spectrum is to reset buffers and switch line
endings to LF from CRLF, but segfaults are not uncommon).