[Rd] Reference classes: accessor functions via 'getRefClass(...)$accessors(...)'

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Nov 17 13:19:14 CET 2010

Le 17/11/10 13:07, Janko Thyson a écrit :

> Hi there,
>

> I'd like to choose between an "static" and "dynamic" access of a reference
> class field, say 'a'.
>

> myObj<- getRefClass("Blabla")$new()
>

> Static:                   myObj$a
>
> Dynamic:             myObj$a.get() where the function retrieves the data
> from a database (or some other location), stores it to a buffer and
> optionally updates the static field value 'a'.
>

> I've set up such a method 'a.get()' where I can actually decide between
> static and dynamic runmode (so the method also wraps the call 'myObj$a' for
> the static runmode).
>

> Now I saw that setting up such accessor methods (get/set) is already done
> for me if I use 'getRefClass("Blabla")$accessors(.)'. I just don't
> understand what exactly I have to do there, because this results in an
> error: 'getRefClass("Blabla")$accessors("a")'
>

> Can anyone point me to the correct use of 'getRefClass(.)$accessors(.)'?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Janko

Hi,

fields can either be data or active binding functionss. See
?makeActiveBinding for some example of active binding functions in their
original context.

Here is an example of a reference class that keeps its data in a file.

require( methods )

Foo <- setRefClass( "Foo",
     fields = list(
         file = "character",
         x = function(value){
             if( missing( value ) ){
                 read.table( file )
             } else{
                 write.table( value, file = file )
             }
         }
     )
)

foo <- Foo$new( file="/tmp/iris.txt" )
foo$x <- iris
foo$x

write.table( subset( iris, Petal.Length < 2), file = "/tmp/iris.txt" )
foo$x

Does that help ?

Romain

--