[Rd] R5 reference classes: how to initialize exactly?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Mon Nov 22 18:25:29 CET 2010

As I posted previously in this same thread, reference classes are _not_
an addition to S4, but provide an interface to the "classical" OOP
programming model in R, via environments and tools for those (and, also,
via some S4 techniques).  The current version of the Rcpp package
illustrates how they can be used in an interface, to C++.

There has been more than enough confusion already between the S and R
version of OOP (which I'm calling "functional classes and methods" these
days) and the C++/Java/... version.

Please just refer to "R reference classes" or words to that effect.

John