[Rd] Reference Classes: removing methods -> implications for objects/instances of that class

Vitalie S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 11:13:42 CET 2010

"Janko Thyson" <janko.thyson at ku-eichstaett.de> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> just to make sure that I understand 'unregistering' methods for S4 reference
> classes correctly:
>
> If I registered a method and want to 'unregister' (i.e. remove) this method
> again, objects/instance created of the respective class still feature the
> removed method until I do an explicit reassign ('my.instance <-
> getRefClass("Classname")$new()'), right?
>
> setRefClass("Shab", fields=list(a="numeric"))
> # Register method
> getRefClass("Shab")$methods(list(aSquare=function() a^2))
> getRefClass("Shab")$methods()
>
> # Create instance
> shab    <- getRefClass("Shab")$new()
> shab$a  <- 10
> # Use method
> shab$aSquare()
>
> # Remove method
> getRefClass("Shab")$methods(list(aSquare=NULL))
> getRefClass("Shab")$methods() 	# Gone.
> shab$aSquare() 				# Still possible

If I am not mistaken methods are cached in the object during the first invocation.

So, if you change the method after the method has been used with the
instance. The object will not see the change.

This can not happen with the fields though, because they can not be installed
after the generator class is defined.