[Rd] .Rdata file in data subdirectory won't load

Ronald Barry rpbarry at alaska.edu
Sun Nov 28 11:10:21 CET 2010

Greetings,
  I wanted to add a dataset to a complete R package I am working on
(the package cleanly installs and passes the R CMD check).
The data (a matrix) was saved, and the save() image dragged to the
/data folder, and is a .Rdata file.  It can be read directly using
load (see below), but now the R CMD check indicates "subdirectory data
contains no datasets" and it won't load using 'data()'.  I have read
through the R extensions manual and Leisch's tutorial, but can't find
a good hint as to what is going wrong.  I also tried this with
'polygon1'
added to the 'export' in the NAMESPACE, with no effect.

> library(latticeDensity)
> data(polygon1)
Warning message:
In data(polygon1) : data set 'polygon1' not found
> file.choose()
[1] "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Ronald Barry\\My
Documents\\latticeDensity\\data\\polygon1.Rdata"
> load( "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Ronald Barry\\My Documents\\latticeDensity\\data\\polygon1.Rdata")
> polygon1
           [,1]      [,2]
 [1,] 0.6421053 0.8132050
 [2,] 0.6845247 0.4814305