[Rd] Plans for tighter integration of reference classes in R.

Vitalie S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 11:53:41 CEST 2010

Thank you for the answer, John.

John Chambers <jmc at r-project.org> writes:
> Second point first:  The actual environment of a function is tightly
> bound to low-level implementation at the C level.  Only a _really_
> strong practical argument would even tempt us to change that, such as by
> going away from the requirement that the type of the environment be
> ENVSXP.

But, how about parent.env() functionality? The "S4" envelope is lost:

> setClass("myenv", contains = "environment")
[1] "myenv"
> env <- new("myenv")
> envp <- new("myenv")
> parent.env(env) <- envp
> parent.env(env)
<environment: 0247a650>

Here I have in mind, as an application, the "prototype" programing paradigm
(akin to JavaScript, also implemented in R's proto package).

If environment manipulation functions would not strip the "S4" envelope from
environments, a considerably wider scope for implementation of "foreign"
programing paradigms would open up. All, by using the "existing techniques"
already available in S4 system.

Proto package makes it possible by using S3 classes, because they are not
striped away. Currently I am struggling to build a prototype based system, similar to
proto,  but in S4 framework. With all the advantages of S4, I am still doubting
that I made a right decision.

Thanks,
Vitalie.