[Rd] "$<-" fails (invalid subscript type 'language')

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Oct 24 22:47:02 CEST 2010

On Oct 24, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Vitalie S. wrote:

> David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Oct 24, 2010, at 5:35 AM, Vitalie S. wrote:
>>

>>> This might be just beyond of my understanding of how assignment works in R, but
>>> the documentation does not say anything about:

>>> Error: invalid subscript type 'language'
>>
>> Are either of these what you should have done to get what it appears you were aiming for but didn't specify?
>>

> I meant what I wrote there. After the assignment, the list tl  should have element 'dsf' with the
> value "sdfdsfdsfsd" (sorry for bad names).

No, as David pointed out the documentation tells you unmistakably:
"[...] The main difference is that ‘$’ does not allow computed indices [...]"
so you want to use `[[` instead since `$` is defined exactly to not allow just what you're doing: the index argument must be a symbol or a character vector of length one - anything else is an error as you see.

Cheers,
Simon