[Rd] windows 64-bit package build on 32-bit machine

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 27 07:31:55 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

My understanding is that this should work.
According to section "D.4.2 64-bit toolchain" of the "R Installation
and Administration" manual:

   The toolchain we use is technically a cross-compiler: the tools run
   under 32-bit Windows but produce code to run under 64-bit Windows.

BTW, as reported here
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2010-June/057668.html
in June, the following links in the Table of Contents of this manual
are broken:

   3.1.10 64-bit Windows builds
   C.4.1 64-bit Leopard builds
   D.4.1 32-bit toolchain
   D.4.2 64-bit toolchain

Seems like only the sections with a title starting with a digit have
this problem.

Cheers,
H.

On 10/26/2010 06:04 PM, Michael Spiegel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to build a 64-bit package on a 32-bit machine on
> windows? I can cross-compile for x86, x86_64, and ppc on a 32-bit OS X
> machine.  And it looks like I could build a 32-bit library on a 64-bit
> windows machine.  But it doesn't look possible to build a 64-bit
> library on a 32-bit windows machine?
>
> Thanks,
> --Michael

Hervé Pagès