[Rd] windows 64-bit package build on 32-bit machine

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 27 09:20:39 CEST 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Michael Spiegel wrote:

> Hmm.  So our package does not have no src/Makefile.win and only an
> empty configure.win.  We usually build a binary version with R CMD
> INSTALL --build.
>
> R --arch x64 CMD INSTALL --build yields the message "The system cannot
> find the path specified."

Well, it probably means you don't have x64 binaries in your R - that has nothing to do with cross-compilation. You should make sure that you have both i386 and x64 archs in your R to start with.

Also I would not expect R --arch x64 to work regardless since you can't run 64-bit binary of R on 32-bit Windows. The same applies on OS X - you can cross compile for ppc64 (i.e. install multi-arch if the package has no Makefile/configure) but you can't run ppc64 R on Intel Macs (and hence you cannot install packages with configure/Makefile).

Cheers,
Simon