[Rd] Development environment for R extentions on Windows

Jeffrey Horner jeffrey.horner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:21:27 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm setting up a development environment on Windows as the subject
implies. I've downloaded and installed Rtools211.exe (will upgrade
later when necessary) and I've also downloaded and installed mingw
with the help of mingw-get.exe.

I come from a UNIX development background, so I'm at the bash shell
prompt for just about every step in R extenstion development. Question
is what is an appropriate environment for Windows development. What
shell do you use? Do you use cmd.exe with the PATH variable set up by
Rtools? Do you use the sh.exe that comes with Rtools? I've found the
bash shell from MinGW to be a pretty close equivalent to bash on UNIX.
Do you use something else?

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner