[Rd] Drop single-dimensional array

Arni Magnusson arnima at hafro.is
Wed Sep 8 20:54:41 CEST 2010

Hi Simon, thank you for the concise reply.

Do you mean the reported behavior of drop() is not a bug?

It looks like a borderline bug to me (see below), but I'm not the judge of
that. If this is the intended behavior and serves an actual purpose, then
that could be explicitly documented in a \note{} on the help page.

Such a note would slightly reduce the surprise of users running into this
behavior.

This is related to the oddity that one-dimensional arrays are:

   array(month.abb, dim=c(1,1,12))  # array
   array(month.abb, dim=c(1,12))    # matrix
   array(month.abb, dim=12)         # array

Firstly, one would expect the pattern to be array-matrix-vector. Secondly,
it's easy to drop() the three-dimensional and two-dimensional objects, but
drop() does nothing to the one-dimensional array. Instead, it takes an
unintuitive combination of methods to convert a single-dimensional to a
vector, while retaining its names. Or I may well be missing something
obvious.

Best regards,

Arni