[Rd] R CMD build cannot create vignettes on Windows if Makefile is used

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 12:56:04 CEST 2010

On 11/09/2010 12:52 AM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found the following problem with recent R-devel
> (2010-08-26 r52817) on Windows (32-bit and 64-bit):
> 'R CMD build <pkg>' gets stalled during vignette
> creation for packages that have a Makefile in <pkg>/inst/doc.
>
> It seems that the problem is that the commands used in the
> Makefile for converting .tex to .pdf are not able to locate
> the Sweave.sty file anymore (if I drop this file to
> <pkg>/inst/doc, then the problem goes away).

This sounds like a problem that only the package maintainer could
address.  Presumably it will be temporary:  once they adjust to the new
organization of the share/texmf directory, things will be fine again.

The reorg is described in this NEWS item:

     * Directory R_HOME/share/texmf now follows the TDS conventions, so
       can be set as a texmf tree ('root directory' in MiKTeX parlance).

Duncan Murdoch