[Rd] a small suggestion for improving the building of packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Sep 15 15:23:01 CEST 2010

On 29.08.2010 22:34, Kyle Matoba wrote:
> All,
>
> I just finished the process of build a package for the first time and found
> it characteristically (for R) very straightforward and well documented.
>
> Whenever I deal with open source software I always endeavor to finish the
> task I have in mind, and upon completing this, I then revisit all of the
> configurations, customizing as necessary to achieve my goals more fully.
>   The ability to achieve some minimal level of functionality without the need
> for much filling in of configuration files, etc., is, I feel, important to
> not scaring off the less technically inclined such as myself.
>
> Based on this heuristic, it is my understanding that a few small suggestions
> could make building a warning-free package as easy as running
> package.skeleton(), then R CMD check, R CMD build:
>
> - Fill in default titles for each of the '*.Rd' files in /man
> - Take out the tildes in the 'examples' section of the '*-package.Rd' main
> documentation file for the package (it seems to confuse the latex compiler)
> - Put the lines '~~ Optionally other standard keywords, one per line, from
> file KEYWORDS in ~~
> ~~ the R documentation directory ~~' into the \references{} section, there
> is presently a warning about all text needing to be in a section.

Dear Kyle,

thanks for the suggestions. Actually, it is intended to generate
warnings / Errors in R CMD check: We want to force package developers to
document their packages probably. This way, package maintainers /
developers have to touch each Rd file and cannot use them as is in order
to pass the checks.

Best wishes,
uwe