[Rd] a small suggestion for improving the building of packages

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Sep 16 20:45:15 CEST 2010

Running package.skeleton more than once is destructive.
Perhaps it needs an update=TRUE/FALSE sort of option
to let you add functions and Rd templates.

When I start a package I don't use package.skeleton,
mainly because it won't make all the usual directories
that I expect to eventually use: src, data, inst, test
(or it is tests?), etc.  I'd rather that it made all
the usual directories (with the proper spelling) so
I could delete them if they ended up being empty.
Do other package writers use package.skeleton routinely?

I copy a template package directory, edit the template
DESCRIPTION file, copy my code into the appropriate
subdirectories, and run prompt(func, filename="pkg/man/func.Rd")
on each function or dataset.   The last step is a pain:
it would be nice if prompt had a dir= or destdir= argument
so that
   prompt(func, destdir="pkg/man")
would make the file "pkg/man/func.Rd".

Bill Dunlap