[Rd] "R CMD check" accepts but "R CMD INSTALL" rejects a tar ball.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 1 17:53:31 CEST 2011

?untar:

     You may see warnings from the internal implementation such as

     unsupported entry type 'x'

     This often indicates an invalid archive: entry types ‘"A-Z"’ are
     allowed as extensions, but other types are reserved (this example
     is from Mac OS 10.6.3).  The only thing you can do with such an
     archive is to find a ‘tar’ program that handles it, and look
     carefully at the resulting files.

So the difference is whether you use external or internal tar. 'g' is the global pax header extension so the format you created is really pax and not tar (pax defines two new types 'x' and 'g').

Cheers,
Simon