[Rd] Adding a "description" meta-tag to the R homepage

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:38:27 CEST 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 08:49 , Tal Galili wrote:

> Hello all,
> I hope I'm writing to the correct place.
>
> I believe that the R homepage will benefit from including the "description"
> meta tag in it's homepage.
> The reason is that google uses that tag to decide what to show when the R
> homepage shows up on a search result.
> The current description of the first result of searching "R" in google is:
>
> "*R*, also called GNU S, is a strongly functional language and environment
> to statistically explore data sets, make many graphical displays of data
> from custom *..."*
> *
> *
> This defention is truncated.

Interesting. What's odd is that although that phrasing is used in multiple places on the net, it is not in the actual www.r-project.org/index.html, nor in any other "official" places that I can spot.

However, what gets displayed for SAS and Stata is not what is in their description tags?

SAS:

Stata:

What gives?