[Rd] "R CMD check" accepts but "R CMD INSTALL" rejects a tar ball.

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 22:01:33 CEST 2011

--- On Fri, 1/4/11, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> >> So the difference is whether you use external or
> internal
> >> tar. 'g' is the global pax header extension so the
> format
> >> you created is really pax and not tar (pax defines
> two new
> >> types 'x' and 'g').
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Simon
> >
> > Okay, thanks. So I guess git-archive --format=tar uses
> GNU tar extensions (not too surprising). So this is
> documented... and a documented incompatibilities between
> different tar/tar extensions. But this behavior of R is a
> bit unexpected - When R CMD check (which involves installing
> to a temporary location then loads it and runs various
> things) works and R CMD INSTALL itself does not.
> >
> > OTOH, should this be reported to the GIT people?
> >

> I think you should re-read my e-mail more carefully --
> those are not GNU extensions, those are headers used by pax,
> not tar. pax is a format inspired by tar and introduced in
> POSIX.1-2001, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_(Unix)
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Argh, got it. The more informative page is in GNU tar's man page, but even GNU tar doesn't write pax by default. I happened to have git's git repository in my hard disc, and you are correct, git-archive, according to its source code, does write pax header, and refers to pax in several places. So git-archive's documentation (and its '--format=tar' option) is misleading; although even GNU fileutils says the ungzip'ed bundle is "posix tar". Go figure...

OTOH, "R CMD check" extracts the content (and does an install) and 'R CMD INSTALL' itself does not, that's a bit inconsistent.