[Rd] How to debug reference classes?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Thu Apr 7 23:50:26 CEST 2011

This is a good wish-list item.  The natural mechanism would be a version
of the standard trace() function as a reference method with the same
arguments as the current trace(), minus those that make no sense.  So:
    xx$trace(edit, browser)
for example, to trace execution of the reference method "edit" defined
in the class of xx.  The mechanism does not exist now, and will require
some modifications or extensions to the existing trace() implementation.

Meanwhile, the following slightly ugly workaround seems to apply trace()
to a reference method.  Here, xx is the object created in the example
for ReferenceClasses, with method $edit().  [Actually running the
example removes the class definition, so this was done from a copy of
the source code for the example.]

The steps in the workaround:

- make a copy of the method,
   edit <- xx$edit

- arrange to trace it in xx:
   trace(edit, browser, where = xx)
(this produces a note and a warning, but they seem harmless)

- remove the copy (just to be safe)
   rm(edit)

- now run things with whatever trace action you speficied.

- if needed after debugging, untrace() the method.
   untrace("edit", where = xx)

An example is below.

Of course, one could also just define xx$edit to call a regular
function, say myEdit() and trace that.  But the workaround doesn't
require changing the existing definition.

Suggestions for a better or less ugly workaround are welcome.  I'll look
at fixing up a trace() method for 2.13.1

John

==============================
 > edit <- xx$edit
 > trace(edit, browser, where = xx)
Constructing traceable class "refMethodDefWithTrace"
Environment of class "refMethodDef" is locked; using global environment
for new class
Tracing function "edit" in package "2011-04-07 14:34:43"
[1] "edit"
Warning message:
In getPackageName(whereF) :
   Created a package name, "2011-04-07 14:34:43", when none found
 > rm(edit)
 > xx$edit(1,2,3)
Tracing xx$edit(1, 2, 3) on entry
Called from: eval(expr, envir, enclos)
Browse[1]> objects()
[1] "i"     "j"     "value"
Browse[1]> j
[1] 2
Browse[1]> j <- 3
Browse[1]>
 > xx$data
      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    5    3
[2,]    2    6   10
[3,]    3    7   11
[4,]    4    8   12
 > untrace("edit", where = xx)
Untracing function "edit" in package "2011-04-07 14:34:43"
 > xx$edit(1,2,-1)
 > xx$data
[1,]    1   -1    3
[2,]    2    6   10