[Rd] Conditional "Suggests"

Geoff Jentry geoffjentry at hexdump.org
Tue Apr 12 15:52:44 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Friedrich Leisch wrote:
> That is not the case, the checks will only get a NOTE that PkgB doesn't
> exist. E.g., my package flexclust suggests multicore, which is not
> available for windows. Still both live happily on CRAN, and of course
> there is a windows version of flexclust available from CRAN.

Right, there's a big mea culpa on my part here - Uwe managed to wake me up
to my own idiocy.  Obviously I had a case where PkgA Suggests PkgB and
PkgB didn't exist for Windows.  When I saw that PkgA failed to install on
Windows, I always quickly assumed that was the case, but there was another
goofy linkage between the two packages that I didn't intend to be there.
PkgA fails to install in the absense of PkgB no matter what the platform.

Considering that my use case for this has been debunked and it's the only
valid one I can think of, I'll shut up now :)

Thanks
-J