[Rd] Excited about the near future...

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Apr 13 15:16:09 CEST 2011

Since I've posted this a month ago, several persons have been emailing
me offline asking what I'm referring to.  From the NEWS of R v2.13.0
(released today):

Package 'compiler' is now provided as a standard package. See
?compiler::compile for information on how to use the compiler. This
package implements a byte code compiler for R: by default the compiler
is not used in this release. See the ‘R Installation and
Administration Manual’ for how to compile the base and recommended
packages.

The fact that it is now a standard package means everyone will have it
installed by default, which means it is much more likely to get lots
of real CPU mileage.

The 'compiler' package has been a long-term effort by Luke Tierney.
He has some nice talks/slides on this:

http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/

Yesterday, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote a piece about the compiler on his
blog 'Thinking inside the box':

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/04/12/

/Henrik

PS. Stephen Milborrow's package 'jit' provides a just-in-time compiler
iff used with his Ra build of R.  It seems to be a discontinued
project though.